The Clinical Research Department wing of Philip Augustine Associates is actively involved in bench to bedside research activities that are aimed to improve patient care and clinical outcomes. Apart from large scale observational studies in Gastroenterology and Hepatology, the department focuses on novel treatment options for the critically ill cirrhotics, patients with severe drug induced liver disease, alcoholic hepatitis and advanced therapy for end stage liver cirrhosis patients in whom liver transplantation is a far reach. Ongoing clinical research activities include low cost liver dialysis for severe liver injury, faecal microbiota transplantation for severe alcoholic hepatitis, regenerative therapy for end stage cirrhosis and its complications, safer and cheaper intravenous treatment for severe sepsis and acute kidney failure in cirrhosis with sepsis/infections and advanced interventional procedures for complications of portal hypertension such as recurrent hepatic encephalopathy, severe hepatic myelopathy and gastro-esophageal variceal bleeding.
The following original studies, series and reports were recently completed and published in impact indexed journals and selected for honorary presentations in the international forum:
- Severe Alcoholic Hepatitis in a Teetotaler by Philips CA, Paramaguru R, Augustine P in American Journal of Gastroenterol (Nature Publication) 2018 Aug;113(8):1260-1261. doi: 10.1038/s41395-018-0154-0.
- Corticosteroids, nutrition, pentoxifylline, or fecal microbiota transplantation for severe alcoholic hepatitis by Philips CA, Phadke N, Ganesan K, Ranade S, Augustine P in Indian J Gastroenterol. 2018 Jun 21.
- Ayurveda metallic-mineral 'Bhasma'-associated severe liver injury by Philips CA, Paramaguru R, Augustine P in BMJ Case Rep. 2018 Jun 29;2018
- Destructive craniovertebral junction tuberculosis and antituberculosis treatment by Philips CA, Jayarajan TK in Neurology. 2018 Oct 2;91(14):668-669.
- Intermittent or continuous infusion of terlipressin for acute variceal bleeding-"cherry picking" to make it simpler by Philips CA, Augustine P, Ahamed R, Padsalgi G, Jose A, Rajesh S in Indian J Gastroenterol. 2018 Oct 18.
- Clinical outcomes, histopathological patterns, and chemical analysis of Ayurveda and herbal medicine associated with severe liver injury-A single-center experience from southern India by Philips CA, Paramaguru R, Joy AK, Antony KL, Augustine P. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2018 Feb 24. doi: 10.1007/s12664-017-0815-8. [Epub ahead of print]; PMID: 29476406.
- Shunt occlusion for portosystemic shunt syndrome related refractory hepatic encephalopathy-A single-center experience in 21 patients from Kerala by Philips CA, Kumar L, Augustine P. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2017 Sep;36(5):411-419. doi: 10.1007/s12664-017-0787-8. Epub 2017 Nov 10; PMID: 29124669.
- Partial splenic artery embolization for severe hepatic myelopathy in cirrhosis by Philips CA, Kumar L, Augustine P. Hepatology. 2017 Oct 23. doi: 10.1002/hep.29597. [Epub ahead of print]; PMID: 29059463
- Severe liver injury due to Epsom salt naturopathy. Philips CA, Paramaguru R, Mahadevan P, Augustine P. BMJ Case Rep. 2017 Oct 2;2017. pii: bcr-2017-221718. doi: 10.1136/bcr-2017-221718. PMID: 28970193
Visit this section for more updates on how our research and clinical trials are changing patients’ lives for the better, improving treatments and promoting cost effectiveness.