DR. S. RAJESH
- CONSULTANT – INTERVENTIONAL RADIOLOGY
- COCHIN GASTROENTEROLOGY GROUP , ERNAKULAM MEDICAL CENTRE
Dr. Rajesh graduated from the prestigious Maulana Azad Medical College in New Delhi and did his postgraduation in Radiology from Government Medical College in Gwalior. He got his training in radiological interventions and abdominal imaging during his tenure as a fellow and senior resident from the Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences in New Delhi. He received further training in hepatobiliary Interventions from the Seoul National University Hospital in South Korea. A recipient of the R.K. Jain memorial gold medal award, he has presented numerous papers and posters in national and international conferences and has to his credit a number of publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Areas of Specialisation
- Hepatobiliary Interventions and Abdominal Imaging
Flat No. 217,
Purva Grand Bay Apartments
Marine Drive, Kochi E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MBBS - Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, 2007
- M.D. Radiology - Government Medical College, Gwalior, 2011
- Post Doctoral Certificate Course (PDCC) in Hepato-pancreato-biliary Interventional Radiology and Abdominal Imaging- Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi, 2012
- Short-term training in Chemoembolisation – Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea, 2015
- Fellowship in Musculoskeletal Ultrasound from European League Against Rheumatism (EULAR) 2015-2016
- December 2017- Present
Consultant Interventional Radiologist, Cochin Gastroenterology Group, Ernakulam Medical Centre, Kochi
- June 2017 - November 2017
Chief Consultant and Head, Department of Radiology, Medical Trust Hospital, Kochi, Kerala
- February 2016- June 2017
Consultant, Department of Interventional Radiology, Renai Medicity, Kochi, Kerala
- July 2014- December 2016
Assistant Professor, Department of Clinical Imaging and Interventional Radiology, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
- July 2011- July 2014
Senior Resident, Department of Clinical Imaging and Interventional Radiology, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi
- June 2008- June 2011
Junior Resident, Department of Radiology, Government Medical College, Gwalior.
- January - December 2006
Rotatory internship at Lok Nayak Hospital, G.B Pant Hospital and Guru Nanak eye centre associated with Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
- Rajesh S, Mukund A, Arora A, Jain D, Sarin SK. Contrast Enhanced Ultrasound-Guided Radiofrequency Ablation of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Vasc Interv Radiol 2013; Aug; 24(8):1235-40.
- Rajesh S, Bhatnagar S, Chauhan U, Gupta S, Agarwal N, Kasana V. Arachnoid cyst of the cavum velum interpositum in a septuagenarian: radiological features and differential diagnosis. Neuroradiol J. 2014 Apr;27(2):154-7.
- Rajesh S, Patidar Y, Gupta S, Bihari C. A large retrovesical mass in a young man: typical manifestation of a rare disease. Am J Gastroenterol. 2014 Aug;109(8):1138.
- Rajesh S, Patidar Y, Rastogi A, Bihari C. Hepatic visceral larva migrans. Am J Gastroenterol. 2015 Apr;110(4):497.
- Rajesh S, Bansal K, Sureka B, Patidar Y, Bihari C, Arora A. The imaging conundrum of hepatic lymphoma revisited. Insights Imaging. 2015 Dec;6(6):679-92
- Rajesh S, Sarda P, Bihari C. Undifferentiated (embryonal) sarcoma of liver. Hepatobiliary Surg Nutr. 2015 Aug;4(4):297-8.
- Rajesh S, Mukund A, Arora A. Imaging diagnosis of splanchnic vein thrombosis. Gastroenterol res Pract. 2015;2015:101029
- Rajesh S, Bhatnagar S. Radiological Diagnosis of Midgut Volvulus, Primary as well as Secondary to Mesenteric Cyst, with Clinico-Surgical Correlation. J Surg Radiol 2013 Apr 1; 4(2).
- Rajesh S, Mukund A, Bhatia V, Arora A. Transcatheter embolization of pancreatic arteriovenous malformation associated with recurrent acute pancreatitis. Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2016 Jan-Mar;26(1):95-8.
- Betgeri S, Rajesh S, Arora A, Panda D, Bhadoria AS, Mukund A. Percutaneous endobiliary RFA combined with balloon-sweep for re-opening occluded metallic biliary stents. Minim Invasive Ther Allied Technol. 2016 Sep 27:1-4.
- Arora A, Rajesh S, Meenakshi YS, Sureka B, Bansal K, Sarin SK. Spectrum of hepatofugal collateral pathways in portal hypertension: an illustrated radiological review. Insights Imaging. 2015 Oct;6(5):559-72.
- Arora A, Rajesh S, Mukund A, Patidar Y, Thapar S, Arora A, Bhatia V. Clinicoradiological appraisal of 'paraduodenal pancreatitis': Pancreatitis outside the pancreas! Indian J Radiol Imaging. 2015 Jul-Sep;25(3):303-14.
- Pargewar SS, Rajesh S, Arora A. Aneurysmal intrahepatic portosystemic venous shunt: beware of this masquerader. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Jun; 204(6):W736-7.
- Arora A, Rajesh S, Patidar Y. Empyema necessitatis: yet another mimic of necrotizing fasciitis in the torso. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015 Jun; 204(6):W734-5.
- Mukund A, Rajesh S, Arora A, Patidar Y, Jain D, Sarin SK. Efficacy of Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Transvenous Obliteration of Large Spontaneous Lienorenal Shunt in Patients with Severe Recurrent Hepatic Encephalopathy with Foam Sclerotherapy: Initial Experience. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2012 Sep; 23(9):1200-6.
- Mukund A, Rajesh S, Agrawal N, Arora A, Arora A. Percutaneous Management of Resistant Biliary-Enteric Anastomotic Strictures with the Use of a Combined Cutting and Conventional Balloon Cholangioplasty Protocol: A Single-Center Experience. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2015 Apr;26(4):560-5.
- Bhatnagar S, Rajesh S, Jain VK, Patidar Y, Mukund A, Arora A. Celiacomesenteric Trunk: A Short Report. Surg Radiol Anat. 2013 Dec; 35(10):979-81.
- Kasana V, Rajesh S, Chauhan U, Bihari C, Choudhury A, Sarin SK. Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor of Liver Masquerading as Focal Nodular Hyperplasia in a Patient with Non-Cirrhotic Portal Hypertension and Biliary Pancreatitis. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2016 Mar;7(1):110-4.
- Jain VK, Rajesh S, Bhatnagar S, Dev A, Mukund A, Arora A. Prepancreatic Postduodenal Portal Vein: A Rare Vascular Variant Detected on Imaging. Surg Radiol Anat. 2013 Sep; 35(7):631-4.
- Gupta S, Rajesh S, Agrawal N, Betgeri SS, Arora A. A new variant of choledochal cyst diagnosed on magnetic resonance cholangiopancreatography. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Jan;9(1):TD05-6.
- Betgeri SS, Rajesh S, Adkatalwar V, Shiva M, Agrawal N, Ramakrishnan KG. Spastic quadriparesis caused by anomalous vertebral artery compression of spinal cord at the cervico-medullary junction. Neuroradiol J. 2015 Feb;28(1):67-71.
- Arora A, Rajesh S, Bansal K, Sureka B, Patidar Y, Thapar S, Mukund A. Cirrhosis-related musculoskeletal disease: radiological review. Br J Radiol. 2016 Jul 19:20150450
- Singh VP, Rajesh S, Bihari C, Desai SN, Pargewar SS, Arora A. Xanthogranulomatous cholecystitis: What every radiologist should know. World J Radiol. 2016 Feb 28;8(2):183-91.
- Chauhan U, Rajesh S, Kasana V, Gupta S, Bihari C. Spermatic Cord and Peritoneal Metastases from Unruptured Hepatocellular Carcinoma. J Clin Diagn Res.2015 Oct;9(10):TD04-5.
- Arora A, Rajesh S, Bihari C. Additional Radiologic Clue to Diagnosing Hepatic Lymphoma. Radiographics. 2015 Nov-Dec;35(7):2149-50.
- Sood V, Rajesh S, Bihari Lal B, Rawat D, Alam S. Severe Hepatopulmonary Syndrome in an Adolescent Patient with Non-Cirrhotic Portal Fibrosis. ACG Case Rep J. 2016 Dec 7;3(4):e174. doi: 10.14309/crj.2016.147
- Mukund A, Deogaonkar G, Rajesh S, Shasthry SM, Sarin SK. Safety and Efficacy of Sodium Tetradecyl Sulfate and Lipiodol Foam in Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Transvenous Obliteration (BRTO) for Large Porto-Systemic Shunts. Cardiovasc Intervent Radiol. 2017 Feb 8. doi: 10.1007/s00270-017-1593-5.
- Mukund A, Pargewar SS, Desai SN, Rajesh S, Sarin SK. Changes in Liver Congestion in Patients with Budd-Chiari Syndrome following Endovascular Interventions: Assessment with Transient Elastography. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017 Jan 30. doi: 10.1016/j.jvir.2016.11.091.
- Mukund A, Arora A, Rajesh S, Bothra P, Patidar Y. Endobiliary Radiofrequency Ablation for Reopening of Occluded Biliary Stents: A Promising Technique. J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2013 Jan; 24(1):142-4.
- Sureka B, Patidar Y, Bansal K, Rajesh S, Agrawal N, Arora A. Portal vein variations in 1000 patients: Surgical and Radiological Importance. Br J Radiol. 2015 Sep 15:20150326.
- Patidar Y, Yadav T, Rajesh S, Lata S, Kumar S, Mukund A. An unusual cause of postdialysis dyspnea: Percutaneous endovascular management. Hemodial Int. 2015 Oct;19(4):E29-32.
- Bihari C, Rastogi A, Rajesh S, Arora A, Arora A, Kumar N. Cystic Lymphangioma of Pancreas. Indian J Surg Oncol. 2016 Mar;7(1):106-9.
- Patidar Y, Agarwal N, Gupta S, Arora A, Mukund A, Rajesh S. Symptomatic Choledochocele with Incidental Pancreas Divisum: A Rare Co-Occurrence Diagnosed on MRCP. World J Radiol 2013 July 28; 5(7): 264-266.
- Sood V, Lal BB, Alam S, Rawat D, Khanna R, Rajesh S. Traumatic pancreatic transection with abdomino-pelvic pseudocyst formation. J Pediatr. 2015 Apr;166(4):1094-e1.
- Arora A, Velayutham P, Rajesh S, Patidar Y, Mukund A, Bharathy KG. Circumportal pancreas: a clinicoradiological and embryological review. Surg Radiol Anat. 2014 May;36(4):311-9.
- Yadav PK, Shah B, Shende A, Rajesh S. Biceps tendon sheath effusion as a diagnostic clue to rotator cuff pathology. J Indian Med Assoc. 2014 Feb;112(2):103-5.
- Arora A, Bansal K, Sureka B, Rajesh S. Choledochal cysts: sequel of the malformed embryological ductal plate? Abdom Imaging. 2015 Aug;40(6):2062-4.
- Sureka B, Bansal K, Patidar Y, Rajesh S, Mukund A, Arora A. Neurologic Manifestations of Chronic Liver Disease and Liver Cirrhosis. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2015 Sep-Oct;44(5):449-61.
- Misra S, Sharma CB, Rastogi A, Rajesh S, Panda D. Proximal Type Epithelioid Sarcoma Presenting as Large Multinodular Peritoneal Mass. J Cytol Histol 2015 S3:002.
- Bihari C, Rastogi A, Kumar N, Rajesh S, Sarin SK. Hepatic Sarcoidosis: Clinico-pathological characterization of symptomatic cases. Acta Gastroenterol Belg. 2015 Jul-Sep;78(3):306-313.
- Sureka B, Bansal K, Rajesh S, Mukund A, Pamecha V, Arora A. Imaging panorama in postoperative complications after liver transplantation. Gastroenterol Rep (Oxf). 2016 May;4(2):96-106.
- Pargewar SS, Desai SN, Rajesh S, Singh VP, Arora A, Mukund A. Imaging and radiological interventions in extra-hepatic portal vein obstruction. World J Radiol. 2016 Jun 28;8(6):556-70.
- Bihari C, Rastogi A, Shasthry SM, Bajpai M, Bhadoria AS, Rajesh S, Mukund A, Kumar A, Sarin SK. Platelets contribute to growth and metastasis in hepatocellular carcinoma. APMIS. 2016 Sep;124(9):776-86.
- Sureka B, Singh VP, Rajesh S, Laroia ST, Bansal K, Rastogi A, Bihari C, Bhadoria AS, Agrawal N, Arora A. Computed Tomography (CT) and Magnetic Resonance (MR) Findings in Xanthogranulomatous Cholecystitis: Retrospective Analysis of Pathologically Proven 30 Cases – Tertiary Care Experience. Pol J Radiol 2017; 82:327-332.
- Philips CA, Arora A, Rajesh S, Kasana V. A Comprehensive Review of Portosystemic Collaterals in Cirrhosis: Historical Aspects, Anatomy, and Classifications. Int J Hepatol. 2016;2016:6170243. doi: 10.1155/2016/6170243. Epub 2016 Dec 15.
- Rajesh S, Agrawal N, Bihari C, Pargewar SS, Deogaonkar G, Desai SN. Focal intrasplenic extramedullary hematopoiesis masquerading as a tubercular abscess. Tropical gastroenterology: official journal of the Digestive Diseases Foundation 37(3) • September 2016.
- Kasana V, Rajesh S, Philips CA. Alcohol induced brain changes. JGIM. February 2015.
- Benjamin J, Shasthry V, Kaal CR, Anand L, Bhardwaj A, Pandit V, Arora A, Rajesh S, Pamecha V, Jain V, Kumar G, Loria A, Puri P, Joshi YK, Sarin SK. Characterization of body composition and definition of sarcopenia in patients with alcoholic cirrhosis: A computed tomography based study. Liver Int. 2017 Nov;37(11):1668-1674.
- Percutaneous glue embolization in emergent scenario ESGAR 2015
- Not all varices mean cirrhosis! What every radiologist should know about non-cirrhotic portal hypertension (NCPH) ISVIR 2015
- Transjugular renal biopsy- A single centre experience ISVIR 2014
- Balloon–Occluded Retrograde Transvenous Obliteration (B-RTO) of Gastric Varices and Portosystemic Shunts: Basic Technique and Anatomic Considerations
- Percutaneous Management of Resistant Biliary-Enteric Anastomotic Strictures with the Use of a Combined Cutting and Conventional Balloon Cholangioplasty Protocol: A Single-Center Experience. AASLD 2013
- Survival and Mid-Term Outcome Following Emergent Transjugular Intrahepatic Portosystemic Shunt for Variceal Bleeding: Results in 39 Patients.
- Treatment of Refractory Portal Systemic Encephalopathy with Balloon-occluded Retrograde Transvenous Obliteration (BRTO) – A New Approach. ESGAR 2013
- Chronic Budd Chiari Syndrome: Imaging and management. ISVIR 2013
- Desperate Times Call For Desperate Measures: Xtreme Hepatobiliary Interventions
- Transarterial Chemoembolisation for Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis: Is it time to jump on the bandwagon?
- Everything That Shines Is Not Tumor: Significance of Different Enhancement Patterns of Hepatocellular Carcinoma Post Drug-Eluting Beads Transarterial Chemoembolisation
- Splenic Artery Embolisation: Looking Beyond Trauma
- Internal Jugular Vein : A Gateway To Liver
- Radiofrequency Ablation of Hepatocellular Carcinomas in Tricky Situations
- Venoplasty and Stenting of Intrahepatic Venous Collateral for Symptomatic Hepatic Venous Outflow Tract Obstruction. ESGAR 2012
- Role of Balloon-Occluded Retrograde Trans-venous Obliteration (BRTO) of Large Lienorenal Shunt in Patients with Severe Recurrent Hepatic Encephalopathy: Our Initial Experience. ISG 2011
- Scope and utility of partial splenic artery embolization in the management of hypersplenism associated with chronic liver disease. IRIA 2010
- Skeletal Dysplasias-A pictorial essay
- Diagnostic dilemma-pancreatic or adrenal tail mass?
- Pancreatic pseudocyst in perinephric space
- Hepatic hydatid cyst extending into anterior abdominal wall IRIA 2009
- Hand-Schuller-Christian Disease (Multifocal Histiocytosis)
- Skull metastases in papillary carcinoma of thyroid
- A case report on Nutcracker Phenomenon
- Polycystic disease of pancreas- A case report
Lectures and Paper presentations
- GASTROCON 2017 – Role of Interventional Radiology in Portal Hypertension and Liver Cirrhosis
- GASTRIA 2017 – Panelist on the discussion on management of colorectal liver metastases
- IRIA 2009- Use of Doppler in prediction of perinatal outcome in PIH.
- IRIA 2010- Ultrasound as the primary screening modality in blunt abdominal trauma
AWARDS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- Dr. R.K.Jain Memorial Gold Medal Award 2009 for paper presentation on “Use of Doppler in prediction of perinatal outcome in PIH” presented by the MP State branch of IRIA.
- Certificate of Merit awarded to the poster presented at the Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe (CIRSE) conference in 2013 at Barcelona, Spain.
- Award for the best poster presentation on “Percutaneous Management of Resistant Biliary-Enteric Anastomotic Strictures with the Use of a Combined Cutting and Conventional Balloon Cholangioplasty Protocol: A Single-Center Experience” at ISVIR 2014, Mumbai.
- Scholarship for a short-term international intensive training course on conventional transcatheter arterial chemoembolisation (c-TACE) at the Seoul National University Hospital, Seoul, South Korea.
- Cum Laude for the poster on “Not all varices mean cirrhosis! What every radiologist should know about Non- cirrhotic Portal Hypertension (NCPH)” presented at ESGAR 2015, Paris
- National scholarship awarded by CBSE in recognition of the position secured in the list of meritorious candidates in AISSE 1998.
- Indian Radiological and Imaging Association
- Indian college of Radiology and Imaging
- Indian Society of Vascular and Interventional Radiology
- European College of Radiology
- European Society of Gastrointestinal and Abdominal Radiology
- Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiological Society of Europe
- Society of Interventional Radiology
- Society of Interventional Oncology
COMMUNITY SERVICE/LEADERSHIP EXPERIENCE
- PRAYAS- NGO involved with child observation home for juvenile delinquents. Delivered voluntary medical services free of charge to the children and participated in health talks on various topics such as personal hygiene and common childhood illnesses.
- Family Health Advisory Programme (FHAP) - Adopted and counselled low income families on nutrition for pregnant and lactating mothers and prevention of common diseases.
- Volunteer for MTNL Perfect Health Mela. An annual health fare providing screening facilities, health facility and health awareness among masses.
- Pulse Polio Immunization, New Delhi- Nationwide immunization programme targeted at children less than 5 years of age. 2001-2006
- Guru Nanak Eye Centre, New Delhi- Worked as an educator to motivate people for eye donation and free cataract surgeries.
- Dr. Amar Mukund
Head, Department of Interventional Radiology, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi Phone no- Will be provided as and when required
- Dr. Ankur Arora
Associate Professor, Department of Radiodiagnosis, Institute of Liver and Biliary Sciences, New Delhi Phone no- Will be provided as and when required
Personal Information -34, Male, Married
Native place- Kottayam, Kerala
Languages known- English, Hindi, Malayalam